Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Anaheim and Santa Barbara, part II.

As much as I thought Santa Barbara was wonderful, I just didn't want to stay for another 4 days. The road has planted a bug in my blood and it is where I feel free, now.

On Sunday I drove the rental car, a nice Toyota Camry, 130 miles South to Anaheim with my stuff and the Bratty Cat to the PPFA convention (Professional Picture Framers Association). The convention and trade show was held Saturday through Tuesday. I was able to arrive in time for some classes on Monday.

I registered for the trade show a week in advance, mainly because I could do so for free. As much as I wanted to register for classes, I did not want to pay for them knowing I may not be able to attend if I could be in the area. Also, it was not in the budget. As it turned out though, my luck had changed. An angel from the Grumble offered me her passes for several classes she registered and paid for. Cathy Coggins (i-m-chickie), a grumbler from Florida was unable to make her reservation and so generously offered them to me. Karma is surely about to be very kind to her. I am still thinking of a nice way to say thank you.

Speaking of the kindness of my Grumble friends, I want it to be known how very generous and kind Mark (artrageous) has been. After I posted my car troubles on the grumble, Mark, quickly offered me a solution that was so kind in spirit and off the generosity chart by miles. He suggested I ship the car back to the East Coast and fly back using his Southwest sky miles!!! It was an offer that really made me want to take him up on it. The solution was very sound and would have saved me a great deal of money. I happen to be pretty stubborn (thank you Gram!) and find extreme difficulty in accepting others generosity. It's in my genes. So on I go.....

Thanks again, Mark. You now occupy a very special place in my heart

Back to the convention. I had a great time, which I desperately needed. I am such a frame geek that just talking about picture framing makes me feel good. Learning more about it is nirvana! The instructors are industry leaders who are deservedly well respected. I often feel like I am in the company of celebrities when I am near them. And the greatest thing is that each one of them is as accessible and approachable as any one else. Thank you all!

I drove back to Santa Barbara, yesterday so I could retrieve my newly repaired car. It felt good knowing my car has been taken care of, looked over and ready for the 3000 mile trip. I returned the rental car this morning and took my car back. The total bill was a very bitter pill to swallow and now I have no choice but to cut this trip short and head back East at a much quicker pace.

Agoura Hills, 40 or so miles South of Santa Barbara, was where my next grumble visit occurred. Alisa Spaulding, owner of The Frame Gallery, is a beautiful lady with a beautiful shop! But naturally, the reason I truly loved her shop was Kitty, a 17 year old Siamese cat who is so gosh darn cute, I couldn't keep my hands off her! Kitty's name is short for an Australian name I can't remember. And neither can Alisa's customers, hence, the name Kitty. While visiting with Alisa and petting Kitty, my bratty cat, Sabastian, was in the car, and I know even he, who does not get along with other cats, would have fallen for Kitty. How could he not? She is a beautiful blue eyed older gal!

Alisa purchased her frame shop from her father and has been in business for about 17 years. It is obviously successful due to Alisa's hard work and determination. I have always been a firm believer in keeping a frame shop fresh by changing things often. Alisa subscribes to this belief as well, by changing the art themes on the walls every month and half or so! Awesome!

After leaving Agoura Hills and getting on the freeway, the check engine light came on in the car! My spirits sank quickly. I pulled off the freeway and into a shopping center and lost my battle with the no tears pact I made with myself. How could this be happening? After I left a message for the Santa Barbara mechanic to call me, I called my best friend, Barbara, for some direction. She always knows what to say to calm me down or to help me see things more clearly. During our conversation, Matt, the service guy from the Toyota dealership returned my call. He gave re-assurance that he would take care of it but not to worry as long as the check engine light was not blinking. He recommended I take the car to my planned destination and then find another dealership to run a diagnostic on it. I really wanted to drive back to Santa Barbara and have them look at it, but I ended up taking Matt and Barbara's advise to keep going as long as the car was running well, which it was.

I continued toward San Diego a total emotional wreck while driving in the slow lane anticipating the need to pull into the breakdown lane. Fortunately I didn't need to do that, but I did end my days trip about 60 miles short of my destination. I could not take it any more and just wanted to get out of the car. The road wasn't feeling so free anymore.

Maybe a good nights sleep will clear my head of this ridiculous notion of calling Mike to beg for him to take me back. That sounds attractive, doesn't it? An ex-girlfriend who is jobless, homeless and begging to return. Oooohhh.... pretty, huh?

Yeah. Not gonna happen

No comments:

Post a Comment