Monday, March 15, 2010

Battery Re-Charge

Chatting it up with other framers seems to re-charge my batteries. This cross country frame shop adventure has had its ups and downs, but the visits have remained a source of joy. Even when I am feeling down about one thing or another, a shop visit can turn me around.

I was feeling discouraged today as the first shop I went to visit was closed due to illness. I had anticipated this visit since last night when I did a google search for frame shops in the Richmond area and found the shop whose owner graced the cover of last months Decor Magazine. For those of you who are not familiar with Decor, it is one of two picture framing trade magazines. I had not yet read the article about Mary Fender and her shop, but I did remember a post on the grumble about it. Had I read the article, I would have known her shop was in Richmond. I was pleasantly surprised to find out! Her website indicated she was open on Mondays, so I was excited to go meet her. But then disappointment set in when the sign on the door read "closed due to illness." I hope it was not too serious and that she feels better soon.

The next shop on the google map was closed as well. So this day was going to be bust. That is until I found the Crossroads Art Center (http://www.crossroadsartcenter.com/). The center exhibits art from local and regional artists, as well as an offering of art classes and seminars. What a fun place. There is almost too much art to see. I enjoyed strolling through the booths and seeing the different types of art represented such as paintings, photography, sculpture, pottery, jewelry and more. Also, checkout "Bustin’ Out for Cancer" and look at the creative art bras that are up for auction to benefit Breast Cancer Awareness . There is one bra made from small hard hats and tape measures. Very Cool! I would love to bid on it!

With a little more time to spend, I looked up a few other shops on the google list. The one I chose to see next was chosen because the owner had a good website with the PPFA logo displayed. Done; that was my next stop. But before I continue with my visit to Beveled Edge Framing, I want to say to any frame shop owners who are reading this now and don't have a shop website, GET ONE NOW!! What are you waiting for? Come on, really?! While looking on google for shops in the area, I was very surprised to see how few shops had a website. It is a criteria of mine in choosing which shops to visit. I imagine many potential customers do the same thing. With out a website, you are missing customers. No doubt about it.

Steven Price, owner of Beveled Edge Framing was nice enough to chat with an unexpected visitor. As it turned out we had a nice conversation about classes at WCAF, the instructors and framing in general. I enjoy it when I speak with another framer and talk about other framers and know from personal experience who they are speaking of. It validates my experiences. It was not long in our conversation when he asked *me* if I Grumble!! Ha! I love it!!

One comment that Steven made, which made me stop and think was the fact that we, as framers, are in a visual industry and our shops should reflect that. I have witness on more than one occasion where some shop owners have forgotten that. Steven has a great shop with everything in the right place. Thanks for the chat, Steven, hope to see you at the next convention.

-Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment